Breastfeeding-My maternal struggle.

Hello readers.
It's been awhile since I posted about my experience on motherhood, with you all. Before I start, I would like to thank all my readers who have appreciated my blog and motivated me.
Motherhood is surely not as easy as it sounds. When Tira was born, I wished she came along with a user manual. Every one expected me to be the perfect mother-a mother who knew everything. Having lived around with people with similar attitude, made me believe that I should indeed be that perfect mother. Honestly it's just not possible to be perfect, especially when you are a first time mom. 
Thinking back of the time when I was pregnant and the phase of breastfeeding, I would say the latter was much more difficult. Going into six hours of labour was easier compared to the troubles I had breastfeeding. A few mothers would agree with me, while some won't as it was smooth sailing for them. The reason for this nightmare, was the first experience I had with breastfeeding. It was indeed an awful and painful experience.
I started lactating late post delivery. It took me approximately five days. During these days, I saw my baby cry in hunger. Each time I phoned the doctor and told him that I wasn't lactating and to prescribe a supplement, he refused to do so and advised me to latch the baby more frequently no matter what. But being a mom this didn't work for me as my baby's cries got stronger each passing day. The doctor was absolutely right on his path, but I had to do what a mother had to do - feed the crying baby. It didn't matter if it was my own milk or supplements. So I took a major step, read a few articles, consulted a few nurses and finally started formula milk for my hungry baby. I could see the satisfaction on my baby's face when she drank her first bottle feed.
I knew the benefits of breastfeeding and I desperately wanted to feed my baby breast milk. I ate porridge and many other foods that would help me lactate. But no luck. It was only on the sixth day, I was able to feed her. My friends advised me, the more frequent I latched her the more I would lactate. It was only through experience I realised that what they and the doctor said was 100% true.
I was influenced by many wrong advice, which I now regret following. One stupid advice I actually fell for was, when a lady told me not to feed baby too much breast milk. If I have to quote her exact words it would be, “don't give baby too much milk, since she is small she will not know how much to drink”. It is so not true. Every baby knows how much they need. They drink as per their needs and not because it is available. Because I followed her advice I was feeding my baby as per what I felt was enough and not following my baby's cues and needs and due to this she was hungry all the time. She cried after every single hour. I missed out to enjoy the most beautiful phase of breastfeeding all because I followed the old wives tales and not my baby cues.
Many  a times I hear mother's complaint about their breast milk being insufficient for their baby. It's through my personal experience and a few advices from my good friends, I have learnt to realise that a mother produces just enough milk needed by her baby. Nature follows the golden rule of demand and supply. Breastfeeding should always be the first choice of the mother exclusively for the first six months as it helps build stronger immunity which is very important during the initial phase of an infant.
God has made ‘us’-mothers in a very unique way. Our body goes through so many changes, mood swings and unbearable pain only to bring this beautiful life into the world. He gave us immense strength to handle every situation, to protect our children, to guide them and lead them to be good humans. He gave mothers an extraordinary gift and that is 'motherly instinct'. Most of the time we forget to use it and follow the herd like fools. No one should tell us how to raise our children. Our child will guide us. They will tell us when they are hungry, when they have  had enough, when they need to rest and when they need to be comforted and carried. Motherhood is a blessing, accept it with open arms. Never forget 'mom life is the best life'. 
My Precious



Comments

  1. Very good Madonna.. it feels proud for being a mom..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good Madonna.. it feels proud to being a mom..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Taste of Motherhood

A World Of Reality With Shadows Of Superstition.